Volumina : Chemist – R&D Engineer in Polymer Chemistry
- 1-year contract, renewable, potential permanent contract
- Based in Epalinges, next to Lausanne, Switzerland
- Full time, 100%
Volumina Medical is a medtech start-up, spin-off from EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne), active in the field of implantable medical devices for reconstructive and plastic surgery. Since 2018, we develop cutting-edge injectable polymer-based biomaterials designed to reconstruct damaged tissues, e.g. after tumor ablation or due to aging.
The start-up Company is preparing for a growth phase. In order to accompany this growth, we are looking for a highly motivated candidate to be responsible for the development of new polymeric biomaterials.
This position is the ideal position to be responsible for a R&D ambitious project and perform high-tech laboratory work. The candidate will interact closely with the CEO and the CSO of the Company and will be integrated in an interdisciplinary dynamic team.
• Identify and tests new polymer synthesis routes with polysaccharides in order to create biomaterial implants.
• Produce biomaterials and collaborate with biologists for testing in vitro and in vivo properties.
• Characterize biomaterials (microscopy, chemical characterization (DSC, TGA, HPLC, FTIR, …), titrations, rheology, compression tests, …).
• Write technical study protocols and reports.
• Perform literature searches and write scientific publications.
• Participate to the improvement and (re-)validation of quality control methods such as pH, mechanical properties measurement, microscopy, HPLC, GPC...in collaboration with Senior Validation Engineer.
Your background and experience
• Master or PhD in Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, ideally with 1-3 years experience.
• Practical/laboratory experience in synthesis and characterization of materials and polymers.
• Experience in Mass Spectroscopy is a plus.
• Knowledge of Implantable Medical Device field (GMP, ISO13485) is a plus.
• Strong communication and teamwork skills.
• Excellent creativity, and problem-solving skills.
• Oral and written proficiency in English is a strong plus
• You enjoy laboratory work and care about the quality of your results and their documentation.
• You are organized and rigorous in your work.
• You are proactive, polyvalent and able to work autonomously.
• You are objective oriented and challenges stimulate you.
• You enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team and having interactions with others.
• You are motivated by the translation of your work into a product for clinical and human use.
We are offering
• A dynamic and stimulating work environment, at the forefront of biomedical technology and innovation
• The opportunity to express your skills and to grow together with the team
• The integration into a multidisciplinary team, where your opinions count
• To contribute in improving quality of life for millions of patients in the long term
, please send your application (CV, motivation letter, reference letters and work certificates or any additional relevant documents) to Dr. Amélie Béduer, firstname.lastname@example.org